Vous consultez une page Web conservée, recueillie par Bibliothèque et Archives Canada le 2007-05-15 à 15:19:27. Il se peut que les informations sur cette page Web soient obsolètes, et que les liens hypertextes externes, les formulaires web, les boîtes de recherche et les éléments technologiques dynamiques ne fonctionnent pas. Voir toutes les versions de cette page conservée.
Chargement des informations sur les médias

You are viewing a preserved web page, collected by Library and Archives Canada on 2007-05-15 at 15:19:27. The information on this web page may be out of date and external links, forms, search boxes and dynamic technology elements may not function. See all versions of this preserved page.
Loading media information
Government of Canada - Gouvernement du Canada Government of Canada - Gouvernement du Canada
Français Contact us Help Search Canada Site
Partnership Credits Library and Archives Canada Parks Canada
Site Plan Links
Laurier House
First Floor
Dinning Room
Drawing Room
Reception Room
Second Floor
King's Bedroom
Laurier Harvey Room
Laurier Room
Third Floor
Breakfast Room
Parks Canada and the National Archives of Canada

Parks Canada and the National Archives of Canada have enjoyed over 50 years of collaboration in the commemoration and preservation of our built and documentary heritage; it is no surprise that they would join forces once again for the Laurier House Virtual Tour. The will of William Lyon Mackenzie King bequeathed Laurier House and the majority of its contents to the Government and the people of Canada. In 1952, two years after the death of the former Prime Minister, an Act of Parliament was passed to formalise King's wishes. At that time, the Public Archives of Canada (now the National Archives of Canada) was made responsible for the supervision of the residence, for the preservation of the home's historic construction and contents, and for the accommodation of scholars interested in researching King's library, documents and "other objects of special interest".

Laurier House was officially declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 1957. The building was commemorated as the residence of Prime Ministers Sir Wilfrid Laurier (1841-1919) and William Lyon Mackenzie King (1874-1950) and celebrated for its characteristically Second Empire style.

In 1988, the operations of Laurier House were transferred over to the Canadian Parks Service (now Parks Canada) while the archival collections, including documents and works of art, remained part of the holdings of the National Archives of Canada.

In 2002, a memorandum of understanding was signed between Parks Canada and the National Archives of Canada to create a virtual tour showcasing the splendour of this nationally significant Victorian residence and its archival holdings. The creation of this virtual tour reaffirms the longstanding tradition of co-operation between the two institutions and brings the legacy of King to Canadians in an unparalleled and powerful way, unimaginable during his lifetime.

Parks Canada - Parcs Canada

National Archives of Canada - Archives nationales du Canada

Last modified May 6, 2003 Important Notices