Vous consultez une page Web conservée, recueillie par Bibliothèque et Archives Canada le 2007-11-14 à 21:11:42. Il se peut que les informations sur cette page Web soient obsolètes, et que les liens hypertextes externes, les formulaires web, les boîtes de recherche et les éléments technologiques dynamiques ne fonctionnent pas. Voir toutes les versions de cette page conservée.
Chargement des informations sur les médias

You are viewing a preserved web page, collected by Library and Archives Canada on 2007-11-14 at 21:11:42. The information on this web page may be out of date and external links, forms, search boxes and dynamic technology elements may not function. See all versions of this preserved page.
Loading media information
Canada Border Services Agency
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Travel Documents for Entering the United States

In this section

In Focus

Canadian Passport

The Government of Canada continues to recommend that travellers carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including the United States. A passport is the only universally accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada. To find out how to obtain a Canadian passport, visit Passport Canada's Web site.

Canadians are encouraged to plan ahead to avoid peak periods. Please call 1-800-567-6868 for service information.


Attention Canadian citizens travelling to the United States by land or water

As of January 31, 2008, the United States will require all travellers to present documents to enter the U.S. Get ready now!
[ More ]


What is the WHTI?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a U.S. law that will require all travellers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport or other secure document when travelling to the United States from within the western hemisphere. The new document requirements were implemented for air travellers to the United States in January 2007. Document requirements have not yet been implemented for those seeking to enter the United States at land or sea ports of entry.

[ More ] U.S. Department of Homeland Security


Travelling to the United States?

Find out what documents you need to travel to or through the United States:

Air Air Land Land Sea Water

Parliament buildings

What is the government doing?

Canada is concerned about the economic impacts of the WHTI on travel and trade if it is not implemented properly. Proper implementation means finding low-cost, easy-to-obtain secure travel documents...
[ More ]