Vous consultez une page Web conservée, recueillie par Bibliothèque et Archives Canada le 2007-11-16 à 00:37:40. Il se peut que les informations sur cette page Web soient obsolètes, et que les liens hypertextes externes, les formulaires web, les boîtes de recherche et les éléments technologiques dynamiques ne fonctionnent pas. Voir toutes les versions de cette page conservée.
Chargement des informations sur les médias

You are viewing a preserved web page, collected by Library and Archives Canada on 2007-11-16 at 00:37:40. The information on this web page may be out of date and external links, forms, search boxes and dynamic technology elements may not function. See all versions of this preserved page.
Loading media information
Government of Canada

Lost Wallet

If you have lost your wallet, make sure that you cancel and replace all of your important cards. Service Canada has prepared a list to help you through this process so that you replace your cards and identification in the right order.

When you have all your replacement documentation, it is a good idea to photocopy them and keep them in a safe place. Having photocopies available will help in the replacement process should you lose any of your identification in the future.

1. Contact Your Bank(s) or Financial Institution(s)

Contact your bank(s) or financial institution(s) and report your missing bank and/or credit cards.

2. Contact Your Local Police

Report that your wallet has been lost, in case it is turned in. Do not dial the emergency number. Refer to your phone book for the local telephone number.

3. Cancel Other Credit Cards

If you have lost a retail credit card or any other credit card, immediately notify the Customer Service or Credit Department of that retail company.

4. Replace Your Driver’s Licence

In many cases, a replacement driver's licence may be issued on the spot. Contact your provincial or territorial ministry responsible for transportation for more information on the process.

5. Replace Your Birth Certificate

Identification is required to pick up your birth certificate. A driver's licence is an acceptable form of identification. Refer to the Web site for your provincial or territorial ministry responsible for issuing birth certificates for more information.

6. Replace Your Citizenship Certificate

Two pieces of personal identification are required when applying for a citizenship certificate. The application kit provides details on what identification is acceptable. There is additional information about replacing a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed citizenship certificate or certificate of registration of birth abroad (RBA) on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Web site.

7. Replace Your Health Card

Two or more pieces of personal identification may be required to apply for your replacement health insurance card. A driver's licence and birth certificate are acceptable in most provinces and territories. However, you should contact the provincial or territorial government department responsible for health directly to confirm which forms of identification are acceptable.

8. Replace Your Passport

As soon as you think your passport has been lost or stolen, you are required to report the circumstances of the loss or theft to the local police and to Passport Canada.

The request for a replacement passport can be made in Canada at any service location or at the nearest Canadian Government office abroad. However, before the document can be replaced, Canadian authorities will conduct an investigation into the circumstances of the lost or stolen passport. This investigation may lead to delays in processing the replacement passport. 

A replacement passport (which may be valid for a limited period only) may be authorized, provided strict requirements are met. These include the submission of:

9. Replace Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card

If your Social Insurance Number card is lost or stolen, you need to report it to the appropriate authorities to avoid identity theft.

To apply for a replacement Social Insurance Number, you must complete an application form, which is available on-line or from your local office. For faster and more convenient service, we encourage you to apply in person as it does not require you to part with your valuable identity documents. However, you may also apply by mail.

You must provide a primary document that proves your identity and status in Canada. If the name on your primary document is different from the one you are currently using, you must also provide a supporting document. These documents must be originals and written in English or French.

See all Life Events.